What Personal Information do we collect?
Alberta’s Privacy Legislation generally defines “Personal Information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual. For the purposes of this policy, personal information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking, personal information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number, or information prepared by persons as part of their employment. The types of personal information that EMS may collect about you include your name, home address, telephone number, personal email address, billing and account information, information about your business, and other information incidental to providing services to you and on behalf of new franchised British Columbian automobile dealers.
EMS may receive personal information from members or dealer members for the purpose of providing services to them and their customers. In these cases, EMS relies on the members or dealer members to ensure that such personal information is disclosed to EMS in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. Such personal information is used only for the purpose of providing the services in question.
We have a physical presence in Edmonton and may in the normal course of operations collect personal information through visits from the public, capture of video images on security cameras, telephone inquiries, or employmentinquiries. This personal data, incidental to normal business administration, is not collected for a business purpose or shared with third parties except under exceptional circumstances as required by law.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, EMS collects, uses and discloses personal information about our members, dealer members, their customers, and others in order to provide our dealer members and members with association services to and on behalf of the Edmonton Motor Dealers Association. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to fulfill the goals and mandates of an Edmonton trade association representing new franchised automobile dealers;
- to share Personal Information to and from third parties for the purposes of providing Edmonton trade association services to and on behalf of the Edmonton Motor Dealers’ Association
- to understand and respond to members, dealer members, suppliers, customers, and other third party needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with such parties to conduct surveys, research, evaluations and trade shows;
- to develop, enhance or otherwise provide EMS products and services;• to sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom EMS has a relationship;
- to distribute our Signals newsletter, other newsletters, association information and other materials to members and individuals on our mail and e-mail lists including via third parties mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
- to develop and manage EMS’s association and operations;
- to detect and protect EMS and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft, and other illegal activity and to audit compliance with EMS’s policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions including the purchase sale, lease, merger or amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal or financing involving EMS;
- as permitted by and to comply with any foreign and domestic legal or regulatory requirements or provisions and;
- to provide information to our members in relation to their business;
- for any other purpose to which you
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?From time to time, EMS may disclose your Personal Information to:
- service providers including an organization or individual retained by EMS to perform functions on its behalf such as marketing, surveying, data processing, document management, and office services;
- a person who in the reasonable opinion of EMS is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- to our insurers and to regulatory agencies, insurers or others in connection with regulatory or other obligations of EMS in its capacity as a national trade association representing new franchised Edmonton Motor Dealers
- to our members for the purposes of their business of marketing motor vehicles and/or other products and services;
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any foreign and domestic legal or regulatory requirements or
Where do we store your Personal Information? Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by EMS, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information? Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, EMS will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer, using the contact information below. We may charge a minimal fee to provide such personal information. There are a few instances where we may not be able to provide some of the personal information we hold, including:
- if it is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege;• if it contains references to other individuals;
- if it cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons, or
- if it is prohibitively costly to provide
How do we protect your Personal Information? To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, EMS employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Privacy and our Website
- Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a
question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are known to EMS as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
- E-Mail Communications – Occasionally, EMS may send e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about VIAS and its members and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. To comply with Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), we include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future e-mails from
- Links – Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than EMS, and EMS has no responsibility for such third party
Edmonton Motor Dealers Association Chief Privacy Office
#200 – 11729 105 Ave, Edmonton AB, T5H 0L9
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 780-423-2401